Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Q&A with French fashion designer, Caroline Monick



Born in Paris, France, fashion designer Caroline Monick says she is always inspired by nature and the culture of her city. She established her namesake label in 2011 in Los Angeles, and with the help of her friends and partners has launched her very first collection of minimal, ultra-feminine silk dresses. Caroline employs sharp and careful cutting to create simple, yet elegant dresses designed to fit a woman’s body and express her timeless, romantic style.


1. How did you discover you wanted to be a fashion designer?
I was born in Paris, France and my love for fashion design began when I was 10 years old. This is my very first collection and I'm very proud of it. I learned how to sew on my own and decided that I wanted to start creating dresses for women that were romantic and detailed. I keep drawing and creating all the time and I am currently in process of creating a new collection. I want to prove that you can succeed on your own, as long as you give it your all.


2. Where do you get your design inspiration?
I currently live in a small village in France so I get inspired a lot from nature, sounds, materials, and my culture.


3. What was the inspiration for your Spring 2012 Collection?
I wanted the collection to be elegent, original, comfortable, and fresh. Pink is my favorite color so I incorporated that into my collection. I also love painting as a second hobby so I mixed in pastel colors that reminded me of a portrait that was painted by and artist. It is timeless silk with silk lining with handmade details. I wanted colors that were bright and colorful that fit my mood.


4. Since this is your first collection, how did you begin creating it? Did you have help from anyone or did you do all the work yourself?
I started my collection by selecting the sketched that I loved the most because I had a lot. I improved them according to my mood and designed new models, so I used a stylist and designer who helped me with my samples. We met several times to develop and finalize my collection that I now have. I live in France but create my dresses in Los Angeles with the help of my fasihon consultants who help me figure out everything from manufacturing, designing, and marketing my own label.


5. Who is your dream client and where do you see your collection going in the next few years?
My dream client is a young woman who wants to show her confidence, wants to feel comfortable and of course elegant. I love to associate the "French Chic" and my imagination without limits! I take each day as a gift and try not to look back but look forward. This allows me to have goals on creating the brand that I want Caroline Monick to be.


6. What is your most proudest accomplishment thus far?
I love all my creations but my favorite will be the first one that I designed. It's the dress "Copal" which was also the most comples to achieve in silk. My drawings were very complicated to print on silk but I eventually did it. I am very proud of that.

"Copal Dress"

7. What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanted to start a career in fashion?
The advice that I would give to anyone wanting to start a career in fashion is to always trust in yourself!


You can follow Caroline Monick on Twitter at twitter.com/carolinemonick or "Like" her on Facebook at facebook.com/carolinemonick

To know more about Caroline Monick or to check out the rest of her collection visit her website www.carolinemonick.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...